Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Two AM and I'm awake? Seriously?

Insomnia really sucks.  I didn't deal with this in the past when I led a lifestyle that involved a lot of exercise, but now I'm in suckville.  Perhaps it's time to reconsider lifestyles.

On another note, I've been debating probability again tonight. (Yeah, I know, I should go to bed.)  Probability is so weird.  Like this: say I flip a fair coin ten times, and it comes up HTHHTTHHTT.  What are the odds of that sequence?  Exactly the same as getting heads ten times in a row.  About one out of 1024, to be exact.

Am I branded with the mark of the geek that I know all the powers of 2 up to 16?  And does that age me?

Two, four, eight, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, ....

My research advisor of old would be proud to see that I wrote all the numbers under "10" in english, I'm sure.  She sure docked me on that point a lot, back in the day.  But bless her for her it.  To this day I still get compliments on my proposal documents for clarity and style, thanks to her.  Although I'm not certain that it works in this context.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I do yoga every night before bed. I sleep really well - even on these *&^^% camp mats.

    ReplyDelete