Thursday, July 1, 2010

Oh FFS!

When I lived in Germany, I paid $80/year for health insurance. It sucked, sure: when I got sick, I had to wait in line at a local clinic starting at, like, 6:30am, in order to make sure that I was seen by a doctor before they closed at 1:00pm. But then, Germany's health care system is a real piece of work -- in the crap sense.

But now I'm back in the States, and for fuck's sake, can't we just have single payer already? Come on, Canadians, tell me it's worth it. You folks in BC: what do you think? I'm paying $300/mo now for the privilege of dealing with broken websites, piles of paperwork, and basically not getting my job (which I love) done.

All I know is that I've spent AN ENTIRE WORK DAY trying to weed through paperwork from my new employer about health plans in order to figure out the right plan, and this is just for me. FSM only knows what hell I'd be in if I had a wife and kids.

Oh, and I get to do this again in two months. Why? Because when you work for a company that hires an independent HR firm to run their payroll, you basically work for that HR firm. And when their fiscal year starts in September, you get to redo all the paperwork in September.

Jesus H. on a raft, sometimes I wonder how americans manage to put their goddamn pants on in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say but I have to agree with you. This sort of thing shouldn't be so darn complicated.

    BTW, I like your choice of labels that this post is tagged with ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tiny :) I was in a pretty bad mood, as you could tell, but not so bad that I couldn't recognize that I was just feeling sorry for myself...

    ReplyDelete