Thursday, December 3, 2009

Plans




Getting ready for a mountain rescue team meeting tonight, after a fruitless day of beating on an experiment that just would NOT cooperate.  Fiddle fiddle, start it up, watch it run for 30 minutes, and then die.  Fiddle fiddle fiddle, restart it, watch it run for 45 minutes and then die.  Gack.  Eventually this thing has to run for eight hours!  I really just want to drink beer and watch movies, not go to a team meeting and training.

But on that note, I have been far too removed from the mountains (as I've already noted) and from community service in the form of mountain rescue for far too long.  This will be the first training that I have been to in months, and I haven't been on a rescue in far longer.  Teams like this are like platoons of soldiers -- if you're not there, taking part all the time, you're an outsider.   So, time to get back into the thick of it before the summer season comes back around before everyone forgets who I am.

After that, I'll come home, plant a smooch on Laura, crack open a bomber, light a fire, and chill out with something ridiculous on TV, and try to forget that tomorrow I will be banging my head into a bloody pulp from frustration with this stupid pile of electronics and cables again.  Which doesn't actually matter, anyway.

Besides, soon I'll be skiing.  Damn, I love me some snow and steeps!  It's always easy to get sucked into meaningless drivel and routine, so it is important to do something every week to break the routine and reestablish that connection with life that we all know that we have.  Today, this week: get back into the rescue group, and learn about those last three heinous missions.  Next week: load up the skis and hit the slopes that I haven't been on for over two years.  The week after that?  Who knows.  Maybe sex on a fauxfur rug in front of the fireplace.

3 comments:

  1. You know, it's so easy to forget to do that dumping of the humdrum and reconnect thing. See. I can't even name it, it's been that long.

    Now, if only Florida had a moderately high mountain range....


    I sense that I'll soon be owing you a coupla sawbucks, Mr Martian. Cheque okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your credit is good, Wombat. Besides, I suspect that even if I do win it, I'll be owing you right back soon for some new fur-based adventure that you come up with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-hah! Adventure is the name of the game, Martian, fur-based or not.

    Happy skiing and being in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete