Monday, May 31, 2010

Monday night music


Julian Bream plays BWV 1000

I'm getting back into playing classical guitar, after a long hiatus, so I'm enjoying videos of great players. Here is Bream playing a rather difficult fugue, courtesy of Bach, of course. I love me some Bach. Years ago I played and recorded this on my answering machine:


These days I think that I'd be lucky to remember how to read the music. However, it is coming back relatively quickly -- those neurons may be out of use, but they're not completely gone yet. My girlfriend back then called me up recently to say that she'd heard this piece and was reminded of my answering-machine piece, and that really took me back.

I remember playing a lot of music when I lived in Germany, mostly because (1) living in Germany as an expatriot, without a job, is an extended lesson in Suck, and Suck is only really relieved by Art; and (2) it gave me a great excuse not to have to interact with people.

Meanwhile, back in this world, here is Finn being all cuddly and friendly next to my Bay Laurel tree seedling, wanting to get inside and have a snack:

And here is my proudest plant, an onion that was part of winter time salsa and whose foot got thrown out into the compost heap, only to come alive in the spring. I rescued it and gave it a place on the edge of the garden. It has now sprouted into a bunch of green onions, one of which is now sprouting a seed bulbil. I am just gonna let this little guy grow without interference, and maybe I'll get some seeds out of it!


3 comments:

  1. I really liked Mr kindgren's playing best. Very nice.
    Again never heard of him, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful music. You are lucky that you can play musical instrument. It's great to be able to become lost in your own little world with just the music and yourself. I can't play ... I tried and I failed miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiny, perhaps you just haven't found the right instrument yet. Not every body works with every instrument. My fingers are good for a guitar, apparently, but really bad for a flute.

    ReplyDelete