Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday Night Music



One of my favorite bands tonight, Calexico.  I think that I must have some spanish genes hiding in my nordic/anglo bloodline, because this kind of stuff really turns my crank.  Give me hot sun, cicadas droning, hard liquor, burning hot sauce, and I'm a happy man.


There is a distinct thread of loneliness running through Calexico's music, or perhaps it is just wistful isolation.  I saw these guys in concert a couple of times -- although I hesitate to say "concert" since the first time was in a tiny bar that accommodated maybe 50 people (and it was not a busy night), and the second time was in a small theater that could accept all of 250.  They're not getting rich doing this.

Laura is working hard tonight, linking vectors and taking cosines, and the kittens are lazy.  Finn caught a bird and another squirrel today and extracted a bit of flavor out of both, and Zooey is feeling like a homebody and not doing much to hang out.  So I'm on my own, more or less.  My brain is moosh from a full day of code analysis, and this vodka & tonic is not helping in terms of clarity, so I'm guessing that I won't be finishing any of my Evil Scientist circuit designs tonight, hence no world domination.


At this point, I'm thinking that it's going to have to be another episode of The Wire, and then falling asleep to the sound of the forest night. 


The sounds that come out of a pacific northwest forest at night are.. interesting.  This time of year, it's rushing water and frogs -- very calming.  Waking up is the same: birds calling and celebrating, the warm sun washing over the bed, and Zooey and Finn wrapped up together like the Yin/Yang symbol between the two of us, their eyes sleepy and throats purring.  I wake up, stretch with the cats, start a pot of coffee, and then step out into the cool dew-ey morning with a steaming cup, to see how many inches the potato plants have grown since yesterday, or how many strawberries are now ripe, or whether I need to don my SlugKiller hat.

And the birds sing on, and the birds sing on, and the birds sing on, and the birds sing on, and the birds sing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment