Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Perspective

I was reading my blog archive from a couple of years ago, and man, yeah, things are a lot more interesting when life really fucking sucks.  Why is that?  Why do we connect to people so much when they are really hurting, but not so much when they're just okay or even happy?

I won't answer that now.  I installed a rain barrel next to my house, and Finn came back before sunset after we were worried that he was lost somewhere.  Progress and good news, then, for me.  Screw drama and craziness, I'll just be a boring blogger.  Now Zooey has walked into my office, growling and grumbling, and in a few minutes I'll go to bed to a warm woman who will sleepily wrap around me.

So no, I guess I won't be an interesting blogger anytime soon.  At least in a trainwreck sense.

7 comments:

  1. Hey your blog inspired my blog, heh heh
    I know just what you mean, I think we must fight against that least we become compliant
    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suffering creates inspirations. That's why writers and artists can produce better works when they are poor and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, I think we just decide that our angst is more interesting and stop talking about the rest. Or maybe we don't want to jinx things.

    I actually stopped writing when my angst level went up - I've been a reticent blogger at best since moving here, where I wrote constantly when I was in HK (much happier, I might add).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, I have a lot of ideas in my head but I don't know how to sort them and put them into words. Instead, I just want to talk it out with someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was pondering this tonight while I watched Finn eat a squirrel that he caught, folks. As in, from the hind legs forward, while the squirrel was still alive, as it gasped and squealed.

    It was a lot more interesting, albeit horrifying as my imagination ran on, than watching him eat Science Diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I've changed over the years when now I prefer to see the good things going on in the world and people's lives. We still have our moments of drama and long twisted stories, but now we have perspective. Or maturity. Or a highly refined level of "I just don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks anymore."

    Hello J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, H. It is always so nice to see you here!

    Excellent point. And you know what, I agree. I'm guessing that your last point prevails, in the end. I mean, seriously, when we're 80 years old, we're just not going to give a fuck about anything, I bet.

    You know, we really need to hang out one of these days, you and Rob are my kind of people.

    ReplyDelete