Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stupidity


Uh Huh.

So I've got this huge train of thought going about free will and automata and what constitutes independent thought, free of biological or environmental imperatives, as I should, being an overeducated AI researcher -- a train of thought that I've been fermenting on trips to the store and back, while skiing, when pulling rocks out of the garden beds, and....

Well, and then I come inside and the cats look at me like I'm a goddamn idiot.  "We're in front of the fire sleeping, my man," they seem to say.  "Do not disturb."

Being human seems to mean being an idiot.  I got an email that read "So guess what Venus is up to," and I read it.  The cats, at this point, would roll their eyes and say "idiot writes, idiot reads." 

What is it about us that leads us to follow those toxic people in our past that we have left behind?  Seriously, what is it?  That's something that will never make sense from a neurological model.

3 comments:

  1. Is the answer to download Housecat OS 1.0 and use that instead of Human 4568291.56?

    Oh, and, man, if you ever work out why we carry those toxics with us, let me know, Martian. Hate that. Perhaps we are idiots. Or zombies with memory.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again - the kittehs rock. Look at that tail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be, Wombat, it might be. The answer, that is: kitteh upgrade. You're a man after my own heart.

    Thanks for your kind words about those little bastards; I have been trying to dislike them, but it's awfully hard -- especially when one has a tail like that! I guess I'm crazy Cat Guy now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, I think it's better to be a dog or a cat than to be a human.

    ReplyDelete