Friday, January 15, 2010

Squeaky Wheels

Last night we tried to go to a lecture by Michael Pollan at the Performing Arts Center on the campus of WWU. We arrived in time, but forgot the cardinal rule about universities: parking S U C K S. After 30 minutes, we had finally found a spot and managed to get to the venue, only to find that they'd resold our seats since we had not shown up in time. (Aside: WTF?!) The same thing had happened to roughly 1/4 of those who had tickets.

It was frustrating. I love the message that MP is putting out there, and I really wanted to see him. Plus it had been raining for six straight days, and I was kind of ready for a night out. And so I understand the disappointment that comes with being turned away in that fashion.

But seriously, is it really necessary to start screaming and verbally savaging the people in the box office? They didn't make the policy.

This is something that I've never really understood: making a lot of noise to try to get something. I have friends who are really proud of the fact that when they complain loudly and often about something, they are usually rewarded. Want a free coffee? Raise a stink at the minimum-wage girl behind the counter about how your last skinny double latté was made wrong. Want free tickets? Bitch loudly about, well, anything. Eventually they'll give them to you just to get rid of you.

But you know what? I've been on the other side of that counter, and I know what it's like. They can't change what happened, and a lot of times what the complainers get for free comes out of their take-home. So we missed the show -- big whup. I'll see Michael the next time around, and I'll be sure to be an hour early instead of 15 minutes early.

As we left the venue, the box office manager stopped us. We'd already gotten a refund for our tickets, but she also now handed us a certificate granting us two free tickets to any show at the WWU/PAC that we wanted to see. We didn't ask for it, and she didn't give it to anyone else. I dunno what that means. I just looked at her and said "thank you," and she nodded.

We were the only ones who didn't give her shit. So thanks, Jessie. You rock!

4 comments:

  1. I smell an opportunity building car-parks.

    That's the subtext here, Martian, I know you roll that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tiny :)

    Damn, Wombat! How did you sniff out my predilection towards building car parks?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a calling. You'd build a car-park with an onion and tomato patch on the roof, natch.

    ReplyDelete