Tuesday, January 5, 2010

In Which I Return to My Porch Rocker to Resume Whittling



So, apparently sometime in the last two years I have become a gardening aficionado.  Since about last september, I've been hoarding seed catalogs, reading gardening blogs, collecting free seeds from friends, building raised garden beds, tilling random parts of my back yard, and basically being the opposite of what one expects out of a self-proclaimed "outdoors sports and travel lover," which I am.

This evening while L very kindly made a heaping pile of something approximating eggplant parmesan with quinoa and chopped squash and a mustard green salad on the side ("approximating" because we didn't have all the ingredients, but she did a fine job nonetheless, as usual), I busied myself with cobbling together an indoor light frame out of PVC tubing, a pair of multispectrum LED light bars, and a seedling heat pad.  I've got this notion, see, of starting some pepper and eggplant seeds now, and then moving them to coldframes on the south side of my house.  And, you know, being awash in peppery/eggplantery goodness in a few months.  Or something.

So the question is: at what point did I stop being the no-discernible-credit-score wandering slackass with a backpack and a gear rack that I was ten years ago (and a good ten years before that, too, sadly), and start being a homeowner eating healthy meals cooked by someone who cooks better than I do while I Putter About The Rumpus Room?  Christ on a freaking raft, I've become my grandparents.

I mean, not that that I'm trying to denigrate the latter, or anything.  I'd just like to remember having chosen to take this path.

Gotta hit the sack now.  Dill and Calendula planting next week, and the pepper seeds go into the starter pots tomorrow.  If I develop any notable signs of rheumatism or gout, you can be assured that I will let you know -- unless it cuts into the 4:30pm buffet that I clearly need to begin patronizing, or into my 7:00pm bedtime that I will no doubt be adopting in the coming days.   On a serious and geeky note, though, I am going to time-lapse photo my peppers as they start.  Yep.  You read that right.

6 comments:

  1. Growing desire to play house and settle down = Sign of ageing ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Peppers by the hour. Can't wait. (No, seriously!)

    I think you'll know you've gone too far, Martian, when you spend nights on the porch in a rocking chair with a loaded over-and-under on your lap, waiting for raccoons to eat your zucchini.

    No. Now I think about it, that isn't so extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo jealous of your vegi garden.We had a fantastic one going for a while, but got too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raccoons eating zucchinis? That's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...there's only one way to find out, and it involves an uncomfortable night and a firearm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I guess so, Tiny. Although I have no desire to settle down, I just want a garden that I can come back to!

    Wombat, are you spying on me? ~covertly hides shotgun~

    Enigma, I hear you. That's what has held me back for a couple of years now, but I'm now finally at the point where my time outside making it work is a pleasure to be anticipated. I suppose that's made all the difference. Also, it would seem that I haven't climbed anything of note in three years. That does leave a lot more time for gardening when I'm not off on month-longth expeditions twice a year!

    ReplyDelete