Monday, November 2, 2009

On Sandwiches



The nail that stands up must be hammered down.
Japanese saying

I've always liked that particular statement, and for various reasons I've been thinking about it a lot lately.  The metaphor is pretty straightforward: the social order will impose its will upon anyone who dares to be different. But the way it is framed is pretty cool: the nail is standing up: an act of will.  Willfulness.  A choice, made in defiance of the consensus opinion.  And it is not just to be dissuaded, it is to be hammered: suppressed by main force; beaten into place; dealt a body blow with the kind of callousness, indifference, and mass anonymity that only the mob can summon.  And particularly powerful given the context of the culture from whence it came.

Not that I agree with the sentiment, I just think that the framing of the language is beautiful in the way that it evokes such powerful images in my mind.  Things can be dark and yet beautiful.  And personally, I think that the truly damaging darkness comes from conformity and endless comfort, cliques and gossip, and the pressure to be that which we are not.

I have never been comfortable with being a part of something, bigger than me or otherwise.  I would have been an awful army recruit, constantly bucking authority.  I'm vulnerable to reverse psychology because it's not what the mob uses: the mass uses direct force and direct pressure, and so that's what I expect; I'm vulnerable to the wiles of being flanked by intelligence.  And for the same reason (probably), I'm drawn to people who rebel in this way.  Give me a woman who refuses to wear makeup any day of the week.  Any day.

I think I'll go make myself an avocado sammich and ponder its Nowness.

5 comments:

  1. Hammering proud nails works for a while, as per Japanese culture with its salarymen and other (very clever) working drones. But as a long term proposition it's so at variance with human nature, chances are slim.

    And as will all such demographic conundrums, by the time the mob notice, the trend is irreversible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, a nail that stands up actually does need to be hammered down. If it's in the floorboards, it will take a chunk out of your foot!

    I wonder if there isn't an alternate meaning to this which is something about discipline and keeping one's life in order. That not taking care of business can lead to dangerous circumstances. I bet when you're climbing, you don't place your gear halfway in to be "different"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, interesting. Now you've got me thinking about fundamental human nature, Wombat, and how it relates to culture. Way to ruin my day given the humdrum work tasks I need to complete today -- this line of thought it much more interesting!

    And you've got a good point there, dgny. There are times to conform, and times to rebel. I guess I just find myself doing the latter when most do the former. I don't wear that as a badge of honor, though: it has caused me quite a bit of distress over the years. As with everything, however, it's been tempered with age. I'm looking forward to my coming years sitting on a porch rocker, whittling and complaining about teenagers' taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, indeed! I've spent a lifetime standing out for so many reasons. As I get older, I realise some of the reasons were good, some just silly.

    At the end of the day, it's both that have been keys to our survival. We'd never have survived lions without banding together in packs. We'd never have survived in packs without leadership and innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the distraction! I didn't meant to lower your productivity.

    ReplyDelete