Friday, November 6, 2009

On Nothing, Really

So, we've achieved an acceptable but not yet satisfactory amount of Seattle debauchery, on the one hand because a typical winter storm is working its way through the city, and on the other because Laura is going crazy doing classwork.  So after a day of wandering willy nilly from one apparently random destination to another ("flagship REI? CHECK! bodies exposed exhibit? CHECK! sammiches at the market? CHECK!  caffeination with laptops? CHECK!"), we've finally ended up back at the hotel, she taking an online test, and I sipping a glass of wine whilst gently surfing about random websites and shouting "MONORAIL!" every ten minutes as that ancient contraption rattles past the window, for which I am rewarded with a smile.

Now, I might have words about the willy-nilly nature of our travels today, Seattle being laid out in a something less than rational fashion as it is.  But I won't, because I've been to Washington DC.  And I might complain about my "glass" of wine being a corrogated cup that reads "DO NOT MICROWAVE" up one side and "CAUTION HOT" down the other.  But I won't, because it's got delicious white wine in it, and not McDonald's coffee.  What I will do is provide you with some amusing links.
Really, a fairly poor showing, I know.

UPDATE: Bonus limerick!  Sadly, not mine.
A woman in liquor production
Owns a still of exquisite construction.
The alcohol boils
Through magnetic coils.
She says that it's "proof by induction."

10 comments:

  1. Monorail! Although why a train in the sky on one piece of track is an improvement on a ground-bound model with two escapes me.

    Sounds like the ideal Seattle vacay, you two. No PPM or Hiram M Chittenden Locks?





    I love the locks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An all-too brief trip, Wombat, and we never even had the locks on the itinerary. In fact, I've never even seen them up close, save from the Amtrak. Gasworks Park was pretty cool, though; the inner geek rejoiced. But sadly, tomorrow I take her back to the airport. Stay tuned for thrilling updates. ("Oh, a hovercraft actually full of eels! Brilliant!")

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Are the locks really cool, up close?? Do tell..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the locks are the one thing I always dragged visitors to see. (Ask Midwest: she'll tell you I'm a lock maniac. Not in a good way.) They're fascinating in the same way that industrial revolution sites in the UK are interesting.

    "Look, they used the river to turn a wheel and make cotton into underpants" kind of way.

    And yet. Locks are just engineering and gravity, but I find them mesmerizing. That well known lunatic Newton would be proud.

    PLUS: There is a fish-ladder. Salmon, at the right time of year, swimming to their death.

    Nature's cheery, ain't she?

    But I know a dead parrot when I see one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I didn't read closely enough. I see you did do the PPM. Can't go to Seattle w/out doing that!

    If you do go to the locks, there's a Vertical World right there in Ballard, near the north entrance. Did a little bouldering there meself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Locks are just engineering and gravity, but I find them mesmerizing. That well known lunatic Newton would be proud."

    You're a secret nerd, Wombat! I love it! Speaking of Midwest, where is she these days? I haven't heard from her in a long time. Galivanting about the various continents, I'm sure.

    Nailed to 'is perch he is, that parrot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shhhh, Martian, I'm trying to remain deep undercover. Nerdy, yes, but in the classic physics way, not the modern bits and silicon way. Locks v, say gate arrays.

    Traditionalist, that's me.

    The good news about Midwest is that she's embarking upon a new and surprising career. She's training right now. The job will be on the east side, pays well, benes, AND lots of time off for that gallavanting habit of hers.

    All in all a good result.

    Now you have to guess what the job is, and where.

    *sneaky laugh*

    You guys really should meet her, if you're up for it. I'm sure she would be, but let me run it past her first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly which character on The Big Bang Theory that you must be, Wombat. Don't worry, mum's the word.

    "New and surprising?"

    "Pays well, benes?"

    "Lots of time off?"

    ~very puzzled~

    What could be on the eastside outside of tech firms??

    It would always be good to chat with her again, although I don't get down to that area very much, last week notwithstanding. But Laura and I could use someone else to tie in with, if Midwest is still clambering around in the Cascades. It's a little hard to effect a decent crevasse rescue by oneself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good-oh. I know she will have only a little spare time until February or so, but I'll sure let her know when we talk next.

    Yes, the job is outside tech, more a government sort of role.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet, Wombat. Thanks! Midwest is a good bean.

    Lessee, I don't really know her resumé, so me guessing is going to be wildly off the mark, no matter what I guess. "More of a government sort of role." Hmm. Okay, well, the only guess I have is working in Antarctica for the summer season. Or doing some kind of outdoors surveying, like drilling core samples on glaciers. Hell, I don't know, man, just spill the beans already, you're killing me over here!

    ReplyDelete