Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Come Back To Seattle, Wombat, You Know You Miss It



I'm headed south to Seattle for an early start to the weekend tomorrow, primarily to gorge on pho and sushi and  dim sum with Laura, but also to relax and escape what has become an aggressive and unrelenting work schedule*.  And to definitively plan out our master plan for her to move from Denver to B'ham, which we will then put into play on November 23: 19 days away.  Also, she's attending some kind of conference or class or something, and taking a test in Introduction to Statistics, about which I've had a lot of fun helping her to figure out lately.  Embarrassing fun, given that I hold a couple of graduate degrees in a field that uses probability notions every single day and that I could not for the life of me remember how to calculate the critical point of a confidence interval when she called me up to ask about it, but hey, that's what Google is for, right?  Thirty minutes later, ta-da!  I'm a genius.  Seven years of grad school, and what separates me from a first-year stats student is the vague memory of what to type into the search field.  "Oh, I remember now!"

On a completely unrelated note, I went to the YMCA today to work out (as I do every M/W/F) and a dude there was staring at me the entire time.  When he wasn't lifting weights, he'd come sit about six feet away from me and stare at me.  The whole time I was chatting with my workout buddy, and admittedly, our conversation was pretty interesting (glaciers, cervical fractures, swimming with dolphins, generational space travel, local mountain rescue, acupuncture, women, men, turkey with stuffing), but this guy was just a liiiiiiitle too interested. When we moved to a different part of the weight room, he'd move with us.

Sometimes I miss Gold's Gym.  At least there, everyone is just showing off and doesn't give a crap about anyone else in the room.  Well, except the cute girls, of course.  Everyone keeps a discrete eye on the cute girls.

*Yes, you read that correctly.  Show me someplace in the USA North America that has better pho/sushi/dim sum than Seattle.  No fair calling Vancouver, San Fran, or LA, because they're too far away from me.  Well, Vancouver isn't, but an hour waiting out the interminable (and apparently inevitable) secondary border search at the Peace Arch (and in BOTH DIRECTIONS, mind you) is enough to sour me on that town. I ♥ me some Seattle!

4 comments:

  1. You really know how to hurt a marsupial, Mr Martian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My G loves pho. We ate it a lot when we were in Vietnam last winter so now I make it for him. He doesn't like the green onions, he just has noodles, basil, chicken and bean sprouts.

    I really really really miss my gym in HK. There's nothing here that comes even close. It had weights, boxing, spin classes, yoga and a self-belay rock wall. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just making sure that you see the dangling carrot, Wombat.

    That's awesome, dgny. I haven't ever made pho at home, but I think it has to happen. And yeah, what is the deal with gyms not having rock walls with autobelays? The Y here in B'ham has a fantastic wall -- bigger even than the flagship REI wall in Seattle -- but no autobelays, and you have to schedule time to climb. They clearly don't understand the fundamental climber mentality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose most climbers travel in packs - I mean on real rock, you have to have a mate to belay you, no? I guess that's why I've never gotten serious about climbing - as much as I pretend otherwise, I'm solo by nature and HATE that climbing makes me subject to the whims and fancies of others. At least in China, I could pay someone to belay me. Wait, is that like rock whoring? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete