Thursday, March 15, 2012

Transitions

My uncle died today. Or yesterday, I'm not certain. It's a blur. He was a good man, and I will miss him.

When I was small, he took me to an amusement park. I was very afraid of it all, but he made it all better by making stupid noises for me. I know, that's silly, right? But he saw how afraid that I was, and he looked me in the eye, and said: "Hey James, AHAKHEKRHEAKJHID!"

And I laughed, and I responded in kind. We spent the next 15 minutes spouting nonsense to each other, and reveling in the act. He just wanted me to be happy, and he succeeded.

When he was older, he found his true love, and he left all in his life to pursue her. The family disapproved, but he was right in the end. He was happy with her, and she made him complete.

Heikki, you were always my favorite uncle, and I love you.

That's how I prefer to remember him, as a good person who wished well for me. Time is so short, and the people in our lives so transient.

2 comments:

  1. People come and go from our lives, but we can learn so much from our time together. Especially joy. I am happy to hear that your uncle followed his Intuition to realize his happiness. What is life for if not to be happy and pursue our dreams? Sorry to hear of your loss today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katie. You're right of course, and you've been closer to that dark edge than I, so you would know.

    I sit here, and I think of my uncle. One day, I shall be like he was just now. I've seen that kind of helplessness. I'm trying to imagine living it. I'm trying to imagine what my father felt, waking up every week or so as he died, and realizing what was happening.

    It's weird how we don't consider the Now, and we also don't consider the Then.

    ReplyDelete