Friday, March 2, 2012

Reboot

It's hard for me to admit that I've been dealing with some depression issues, but I have.  Human bodies and minds are a complex feedback system, they deal with interactions with other people, your own sense of self worth, how you live your daily life, your diet, your activities, etc.  I can eat right, and do right, and I try to do both.

And each night I have dreams, unlike anything I've had before.  It's one thing to dream the usual dreams that we all have, but another to awaken with a memory of a dream of something from 35 years ago.  Why is that happening?  And why is it happening every night now?  Each day I awaken to insights that I really don't want or need, about things that I can no longer change?

For example:
When I was ten, I lived in a country home, and I walked a quarter mile to school.  Each morning, I woke up, I ate breakfast, and I walked to school.  One day, I picked up a rock, and when a car came by, I quietly tossed the rock at the side of the car.  Each time I heard it hit, I laughed.

I did that for months.  But one day the car screeched to a stop, and backed up and cut me off from escape.  The driver jumped out and started cursing at me, because he knew what I'd done.  I ran, and nothing came of it.

Another time:
I had to awaken early to catch my bus to high school.  This was years after the rock event above.  One day I was very early, and I arrived at the bus stop before anyone.  There was a woman there in a car, crying, hunched over her steering wheel.  She composed herself and drove off before the bus arrived.

These are just two of the confusing dreams that I've had recently.  The angry man, and the crying woman.  Both are very old now, if not dead.  But I keep dreaming their memory.  Why?




4 comments:

  1. Dreams are crazy. I try to write mine down when I remember them because taken separately don't mean anything, but when you start stringing dreams together, a pattern develops. I wish you restful sleep friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had odd dreams and some were more vivid than others. I can understand how frustrating it can be by being affected by strange dreams. Dreams are usually related to your emotion and what's going on in your life. Hope your strange dreams will go away soon.

    Meanwhile ... hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- you're so right. I used to do that, and I should start again. If anyone should know about introspection and change, it would be you.

    Tiny- yep. I don't know if I want them to go away, though. I'd like to understand them, for sure. But each morning I awaken and instead of leaping up to start the day, I lie there and think. I've remembered so much through these dreams. Those two that I blogged, of course, but also really cheerful things: I dreamed of a carnival that my elementary school sponsored, and I dream-remembered the lights, the food, the fun. I woke up that morning amazed that that was still in my head, but really happy at the memory.

    There's still no explanation of why I'm remembering, but at least it's not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. I thought it's all bad and that affects you in a negative way.

    ReplyDelete