Wednesday, July 6, 2011

On the relentless march of time

A treat from the garden

The strawberries are coming on strong now.  I only have a few plants, and the slugs get most of the fruit, but this was a handfull that was unharmed and perfectly ripe.  I trimmed off the stems and halved them, and we shared the tiny bounty.

It's wednesday night, and I spent the sunset carving up cardboard boxes and tying the pieces up, because thursday morning is when the recycling guys come around.

Garlic!

The garlics are mostly huge and full of fat bulbs, and July 4 reminds me that I need to reorder seed garlic.  So I did.

My peppers are doing well in the greenhouse: they love the 90F temps.  I took my cell phone out there, and the wireless signal was strong--so this autumn, I shall be working with my laptop in the greenhouse.

Life's rhythms go on.  Most of the things that I considered important when I was 18 just aren't anymore.  In fact, even five years ago, I was a totally different person.  I remember how my 80-year-old grandmother used to laugh at things that I would say, responding "darlin', none of that grows a garden".
 
I was confused at the time, but I understand now.

3 comments:

  1. You aren't getting your slugs drunk? They like beer much better than fruit, you know. They just can't get the beer by themselves - no ID (or arms, for that matter.)

    Isn't being grown up amazing?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous berries - in Antwerp the strawberries are almost round and so fluffy! In Kiev we'd get these little wild foamy ones....yum! I think it's wonderful you have the garden to put things in perspective. I bet the meditation of weeding has done wonders for your science stuff, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The berries look yummy!

    Too bad that I don't have a green thumb or else I might try your "technique" of gaining peace and serenity from gardening. Meanwhile, I will continue with my knitting therapy ;-)

    ReplyDelete