Tuesday, March 2, 2010

This Will Not End Well

 
PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED lens

So, I bought my birthday present: a Nikon wide angle, tilt/shift lens. Okay, so my birthday is in four months, whatever. I've been lusting after one of these things forever. I mean, FOREVER. What is so great about them, you ask?

Well, for one, there's the tilt: you can tilt the objective lens relative to the sensor plane. Why is that useful? Well, because as you remember from your college physics course, a lens focuses a focal plane to a focal point, so everything within the focal plane appears to be in focus at that point, and tilting the objective tilts the focal plane at an angle to the sensor. By tilting like that, part of the sensor stays in focus, but the rest goes out of focus, resulting in seriously cool shots like this. Stills are cool... but how about time lapses?

And then there's the shift. Ever taken a picture of a tall building? You point up at it, and the finished product looks like the thing is falling away from you. So you back waaaaaaaaay up in order to not point up but rather keep the lens perpendicular to the sides of the building, and then it looks okay.... but at the expense of half the frame filled with hot dog stands, parking lots, and god knows what else. Sure would be nice to be able to shift the building's image into the full frame at that point, eh? Yep, you got it.

Sure, you can fake the tilt effect (partially) in Photoshop. But you can't do it all without the real lens. The artistic possibilities are endless! I want to do a time lapse of my city with Mats Bergström's "Fratres" as the music, so I'm scoping out locales right now.

Sigh.

Gadgets are pretty cool, but I still have an enormous conversation to have soon.

But tilt/shift! TILT/SHIFT!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Mr. Martian. You certainly made me laugh (NOT at you!). A great laugh. Thank you!

    I can tell you love gadgets. I love gadgets too but not as much as before. Besides, there are quite a few items I want to have but I have a limited budget. I have been thinking about getting a DSLR ... One day ... *sigh*

    Do you post pictures anywhere? Just curious.

    And ... "avoidance", "enormous conversation" ... ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiny, you've got an unparalleled eye for detail. I'll probably write more about those details in a bit.

    I'm glad that I gave you a laugh, you deserve them :)

    I do have a flikr stream and a youtube channel. My pictures are pretty simple, but I'll send you the links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to the links.

    My blog has a link to my flickr account and you can send me your links via my flickr account, if you don't want to post them here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added you as a friend on flikr, Tiny. I must be too used to facebook or something, since I was a bit surprised that it didn't ask for any confirmation, or anything.

    ReplyDelete