Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I.5

[What is this, you may wonder? Explanation and beginning of the series can be found here] 


The Youth

Although he sat concealed under a curtain of willow branches, he could glimpse the tower from St. George and read the clock.  Half past two.  In a half hour I must be aboard the trawler, because Knudsen will want to sail away at five o'clock, he thought, and then the boring fishing will begin, the creeping about here and there with the boat at the Buksand and under the land, the monotonous work with seine nets, two or three days long, together with the sullen fisherman.  Knudsen never sailed out onto the open sea like father, even though father's trawler wasn't bigger than Knudsen's.  But then father was lost at sea.  And so I must get away, thought the youth, because I heard people say that father had been stinking drunk again when he died.  Huck Finn's father was a drunk, so Huck Finn had to run away, but I have to get away because my father wasn't a drunk, although they claim he was since they were jealous of him, for he was sometimes out on the open sea.  Not even one tablet did they hang for him in the church, a tablet with with his name and the words "died in with his boots on" and his dates of birth and death, like they do for all those lost at sea.  I hate them all, and that's the second reason why I have to get away from Rerik.

No comments:

Post a Comment