Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Unschooling



An interim post while I get used to blogging again...

Here is a very interesting story about a teenager who has never been to school.  I heard it on NPR last night as I was driving home with a carload of compost for the garden.  At first I scoffed at the idea, but the more I think about it, the more I have concluded that it's a pretty inspired way to teach.  The only thing that I think might be hard would be the transition from no structure to university classes, but that's about it.  Just think about never going through the typical high school experience, and instead growing up and learning at your own rate, and in your own style.

3 comments:

  1. I can understand why "unschooling" can be appealing to some people. Public education is designed for the general population and it doesn't work for some kids who need more individualized education. If the parents can manage educating their kids by themselves, why not? Having said that, I wonder if the "unschooling" kids would miss going to school with other kids. Going to school is not just for education, it's also a chance for the kids to learn how to socialize with other kids.

    BTW, it's great to see you back here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiny!

    They expanded on that article a bit in the actual radio show, I guess that groups of unschooled kids get together and spend the day doing stuff. So I suppose that helps on the socialization side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having gone to a tiny private school and being completely unprepared for life out in the big world myself, I would advocate for school. Having the lack of socialization isn't the only fallout - my "spotty" education hasn't aided much in my earning power as an adult. Reading, spelling, and language weren't a problem, but I was severly hampered in Math and Science, even for a highly motivated kid.

    Oh, you've gotten me on my soapbox!

    ReplyDelete