Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Big Ideas

So, I'm taking this basic mountaineering course.  It's kind of weird to have people telling me things that I know by rote.  It's weirder still to try to explain to people why I'm taking the course.  "Wait," they say, "you've climbed that shit, on your own, and you're taking this class?"

Years ago, I did a series of leadership seminars.  Things that were intended to teach group dynamics, how to lead, what it means to lead, the downfalls thereof, etc. etc.  An interesting concept that I picked up from that was what they called (if I recall correctly) the chain of failure.  Namely, that after disaster or accident, be it major or minor, you can trace back the bad decisions that led to it, sometimes for years.  A chain of one bad decision after another.  The idea was to be able to identify, in the future, when you were starting to make bad decisions, and to see where they were leading you.

Personally, I'm a big believer in reading the signs of what the world is saying to you.  I feel like there's a reason why people experience strings of bad luck in their lives.  It has everything to do with how we lead our lives, and the decisions that we make on a daily basis.  If we start to notice things going downhill, it's time to stop and reevaluate.

But similarly, if all is well and we feel like we're in control, I think that it's time to stop and reassess the fundamentals.  Overconfidence has killed more than one person, or dream.  Sometimes the world helps out with that by kicking us with bad luck just as we think we've got it made, just to press the point home.

So I'm taking a fundamental climbing course after years of climbing solo on steep rock and in high mountains; after making expeditions up big peaks and new lines; after having taught this very stuff for years to rank beginners.  And each time I go, I find myself astonished that I'm learning something new.  I learn about technique that has changed since I started; I learn about the area, to which I recently moved; I learn about the ethics and style of my community; I learn about leadership in ways that I had not previously considered. 

And I learn about teaching.  I taught this very type of course for years and years back in Colorado.  But now, from the students' perspective, I see people teaching it to me.  They're very good, and I appreciate that.  But there is a constant and pervasive message of .... something.  Clanishness?  Entitlement?  I dunno.  I see the teaching staff treating the newbies as... something less.

That really resounds with me.  I think back, and I can remember doing the same thing.  I was full of accomplishments when I started teaching, full of daring, full of bravado.  I still am.  But now I'm on the other side of the bench.  I'm learning so much more than they intended to teach.  I'm learning what it means to be a teacher.  I can see and understand my fellow students' struggles, and I see where the teachers' curriculum is frankly absurd and doesn't advance the program.  But much more than that, I am starting to see how the sociology of groups plays such a huge part in learning.  When people feel that they are a part of something, and accepted, they can excel.  And if rejected... failure is a likely option for most.

That's a huge lesson, and it's not at all limited to my narrow little example. 

8 comments:

  1. That's a huge lesson. It's funny how people might start out thinking leadership is all about being the best and passing on their knowledge, but the TRUE leader learn that it's actually all about meeting the needs of your students - of course that includes passing on knowledge, but it's SO much more. I hope you can teach other leaders what you've learned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When people feel that they are a part of something, and accepted, they can excel."

    Somehow this reminds me of a situation that I have been in lately, and how I responded and behaved as a result of that. I don't like my reaction but I couldn't help feeling angry and bitter sometimes. I stopped and thought about it. I then realized what triggered my reaction. I get to learn about myself more and understand why certain things (that are totally unrelated to my recent experience) happened to me in the past couple of years.

    A good teacher/leader should be able to inspire and bring out the potential of the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been obsessed with leadership over the past year. It all started from being promoted and worrying that I wasn't doing a good job and then watching the Dog Whisperer and realising that I hadn't been trusting myself enough, but I've since had so many ways to learn about it by observing leadership situations - in my family, my own household, my work (I manage people/my managers), my reading (of particular note are the Dog Whisperer How to be a Pack Leader book and 100%ers, but so many others)

    I've learned so much in an area that I had thought I understood and now I know I had had good instincts in general, but that I was missing the whole primal element to leadership. To be a true leader isn't about you, it's all about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird, Tiny: I've been thinking similar things lately. I was driving downtown yesterday wondered what is it about this time, or where I am, or whatever, that is causing me to suddenly have really big insights into myself? I think part of it has to do with just getting older and having more experience: we keep seeing the same things happening and at some point, our unconscious minds say "hey, you know, all your easy explanations keep not working.. maybe you need to rethink this."

    DG, that's pretty awesome. I totally agree. I thought I knew all about leadership a few years ago, and then I made the mistake of trying to learn more about it, so I started down the path of formal leadership training. Now, I feel like I'm a rank beginner. But you're right: it's all about them. And, I would add, the goal. If you're leading a group, there's a goal. I now realize that if the group thinks that the experience went swimmingly (even if what THEY thought the goal was, wasn't achieved), then I did well. What they don't see is all the prep work that I did, the constant (re)framing of the goal, the diplomacy of working out disputes between team members, the out-of-band problem resolutions that I deal with so that they don't have to, etc. etc. And in the end, none of them remember the part that I played. And in fact, some even think I had no part at all. But that's what it means to make it all about *them*.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this post a few days ago and loved it - and yet I have nothing to add now that I am back and have read the comments. You have all added more for me to consider. Leadership is an art - and one thing I have learned through teaching and parenting is that we lead or teach but we need to be open to follow and learn at the same time. It is always a give and take. Often, that give and take is over looked or forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "And in the end, none of them remember the part that I played. And in fact, some even think I had no part at all. But that's what it means to make it all about *them*."

    Oh yeah, *that's* what I'm talking about! They're lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiny, it definitely sounds like you're on a journey of self-discovery right now. I'm curious to see how it evolves, and I hope that you write about it.

    Haha, hi Exception! Good to see you again. I'm laughing because you said that you had nothing to add, and then.. added something significant. I agree. We teach and we learn, and that's really key, isn't it? That attitude/clanishness/entitlement that I noticed in my instructors comes from being In -- from thinking that they know what is to be taught. But you're so right, the teacher learns from the student, too.

    Aw, DG, thanks. And see, I knew that you got it, I knew that you knew.

    It's conversations like this, with thoughtful people, that make me really want to teach again.

    ReplyDelete